Thursday, August 19, 2010

This and that: Derrek Lee to Braves, Brett Favre, break

Some bits from yesterday...

- Yesterday, the Chicago Cubs and Atlanta Braves agreed on a trade that would send All-Star power hitting first baseman Derrek Lee to Atlanta for three pitching prospects.

Lee, 34, is in the final year of his big money contract and will be a free agent at the end of the season. Due to Chipper Jones' ACL tear, the Braves felt the need to revamp their offense, and acquiring Lee fit the bill. Lee has dealt with injuries this year and is struggling this season, hitting just .251/.335/.416 with 16 home runs and 56 RBIs and will not likely reach the .306/35/111 line he posted last season. He projects to be a Type-B free agent and is currently resting some sore lower back problems. Oddly enough, his first Braves start will be against the Cubs at Wrigley Field.

The move for Lee allows current first baseman Troy Glaus (who was once a long time third baseman) to be placed on the DL to rehab some injuries and also take fielding practice at third base, where he will play in the absence of Jones.

In return, the Cubs get pitchers Tyrelle Harris, Robinson Lopez and Jefferey Lorick.

- I don't even want to write this one, but I have to: Brett Favre is coming back for another season. That's right. Again.

- Guys, I'm sorry about this once again, but I'm going to have to take another break from the blog. I've been swamped with work and school is starting soon so I really have to focus on that. I'm doing a whole bunch of things right now and just haven't had the time to write anything with the meaningfulness that I used to. I'm hoping a short break, as well as some relaxing time, can fix that. I'll be back writing soon enough, but until then the blog will be on temporary hiatus.

No comments:

Post a Comment