Sunday, September 11, 2011

Ten Years Later... Some Quick Thoughts

Has it really been ten years already?

Jeez, I'm old.

It's extremely hard to believe that the September 11th, 2001 terrorist attacks were ten years ago today. Perhaps the darkest day our nation has seen in it's history affected the lives of millions, but brought us all together as one. I, for one, remember exactly where and what I was doing when those planes crashed into the World Trade Center.

I was eight years old at the time of the attacks, and like every other eight year old in the third grade, I did not want to go to school. On the morning of 9/11, which began as any other morning, I told my mom I did not want to go to school because I had a stomach ache and I did not think I could last throughout the whole school day. Luckily, my mother gave in and allowed me to stay home from school. Since then, she's always said that she was happier that I was with her when the news hit rather than at school.

My mother brought me with her to run her errands for the day, one of which included scheduling my younger brother's birthday party at Pizza Pizzaz, a pizza/arcade restaurant in Mt. Kisco, New York. Upon entering the restaurant, the woman behind the counter had the news on. On the screen were the Twin Towers up in smoke, with the news ticker flashing like a siren. While she was scheduling my brother's party, my mother, unknowingly, asks the woman "Oh, is this is a new movie?" The woman looks at my mother and responds, "No. Two planes just crashed into the Twin Towers."

Shortly after, my mother decided to cancel her errands and we returned home to find out that another plane had hit the Pentagon and another had crashed into a field in Pennsylvania. All schools in the area evacuated and my mother had to run to pick up both of my younger brothers from pre-school. I remember trying to watch television but every station having the news on with the reports of the attacks. At the time, I had no idea what was going on and I didn't take it seriously at all. I remember in the days following how worried everyone was about another attack in the coming days. What stands out most is how concerned my father was about my grandfather, who, at the time, was working in New York City and luckily was safe and sound.

The next few days in Somers were pretty somber, as there were many families in town mourning the losses of their loved ones, others paying their respects in general, and many who still just in disbelief.

Then, there was one event that reunited New York City, if not the nation, for the night.

Mike Piazza's walk-off home run against the Atlanta Braves in the first baseball game following 9/11.

I remember it clearly. The Mets payed their respects to the New York City Police Department and New York City Fire Department that day by wearing NYPD and FDNY hats throughout the game. Then Piazza's homer to win it brought the city together.

---

Looking back on 9/11 now, ten years later as a freshman in college, I'm still in disbelief of the attacks. Being one of the few New Yorkers here, I'm extremely proud to be a New Yorker and even more proud to be an American. I'm proud to represent my hometown, wear those New York shirts with pride, and be able to say that New York City is the greatest city in the world. There's not as much sympathy to the subject of 9/11 out here, simply because it's Indiana and we're pretty far away from New York, but I'll always remember it. If the Media LLC does go to New York City for spring break as planned, I'll be even more proud to represent New York and I'll be able to prove how this is the greatest city in the world.

Rest in peace to all those lost in the attacks on 9/11, you will never be forgotten.

God Bless America.

No comments:

Post a Comment