Saturday, May 15, 2010

A Day well spent...

You truly couldn't ask for a better day.
The weather was wonderful, the grass was greener, and the smell of summer creeps closer and closer. That being said, today was a great day. First off, my New York Yankees trampled the Minnesota Twins 7-1 and second I was able to do what I love today: broadcasting.
Today was Senior Day at Somers High School for all school sports, a part of Somersfest, an annual day in which all the school teams have an event on the same day and celebrate their seniors. Today, I had the honor of working in the booth with Somers High's very own Mike Rossilo and MSGVarsity's Frank Licassio to call the Somers Tuskers Vs Fox Lane Varisty Baseball game. We had a great time watching the game and doing color commentary as the game progressed. Mike called balls and strikes while I added in analysis, statistics and more. It was a beautiful day for baseball, an even better day for Senior Day. Jake Levine, a senior, smacked two homeruns to put his team ahead twice after a shaky outing by starting pitcher Chase Levi. Reliever Jarred Bronley shut down the opposition after Levi departed, setting the table for Somers to come from behind and win 9-5. It was well played game for both teams.

Then I got to interview my good friend Jarred Bronley. I asked Jarred about his mindset when he enters a game: "Throw strikes and that's it. You don't want to think much, just throw strikes, get outs and move on. You want a quick inning and want to avoid runs." I proceeded to ask him how he felt having to come in trailing 5-4 in the 6th inning and how much pressure he felt having to keep his team within one run: "No pressure. Like I said before, you throw strikes, get the ball over the plate and try to avenge your teammates. I don't feel any pressure when I come into a game because I know my teammates have my back." On Jake Levine: "Wow, he had a great game for us. Two homeruns is crazy." On this upcoming Thursday's matchup vs Carmel at Renegades Stadium: "Stoked. Beyond belief."

Truly a great day, and not just because I commented the game, but because I commented my friends. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment