Sunday, May 16, 2010

Q & A with Somers High School RHP Jarred Bronley

Yesterday after the Somers High School baseball game vs Fox Lane, I had the privilege to interview pitcher and good friend Jarred Bronley. Today, I contacted Jarred and was able to interview him once again to get his thoughts on the season. Here is our interview:

The New York Sports Spot: Ready to get started Jarred?

Jarred Bronley: Haha oh yeah, sure.

TNYSS: First off Jarred, we know your a pitcher. Give us an insight into your repetoire and which pitch you believe to be your most effective pitch.

JB: I have a 4-seam fastball, 2-seam fastball, curve ball, and a circle-change. My fastball is my most effective pitch because it sets up the rest of my pitches.

TNYSS: You probably know where we get this question from: Jarred Bronley, starter or reliever?

JB: Wherever I am needed to win, if they need me to start, I will start and if they need me to come out of the bullpen, I will be ready for that as well. I will do anything to help get the W.

TNYSS: Obviously after this season, Chase Levi, the ace of your pitching staff, along with the rest of the seniors are leaving. How do you feel knowing you will most likely be the ace of that staff next season? Do you think you have what it takes to command the rotation next year and be the go-to guy in a big game?

JB: First off, Chase is a horse. He goes out every start and is effective. I understand that next year, my role will be the ace. Next year, in a big game, I will be doing all I can to help the team to win ballgames.

TNYSS: You know, most scouts say that shorter players have shorter lives in baseball or don't make it at all. However, there are guys like Dustin Pedroia and Tim Lincecum tearing it up in the majors. How do you, not be a big guy, react when you hear things like that?

JB: I have to ignore them because I believe height has nothing to do with how a ballplayer performs. For a pitcher, all that matters is mechanics and control. If you have good mechanics you can possibly throw hard and have less of a chance of getting injured and if you have good control of the strike zone, you can get outs without velocity. For me, my velocity comes from my legs, I have a long stride, causing me to throw harder then most pitchers my size (not including the Freak.

TNYSS: Is there a pitcher, either current or retired that you idolize?

JB: Greg Maddux and Roy Halladay, they both have a variety of pitches and can throw to both sides of the strikezone. I have a article from years back. Maddux was interviewed in it and gave his 4 commandments of pitching: 1) make balls look like strikes 2) make strikes look like balls 3) when you start losing command of the strikezone, throw slower not harder and 4) have fun.

TNYSS: How does 4 straight section titles sound?

JB: Sounds great. As Coach Wooten always told us, if we execute, we can win.

Thanks to Jarred for the interview.

No comments:

Post a Comment